New Zealander faces historical sex charges in Australia

A New Zealand security company manager extradited to Darwin has been accused of raping his pregnant former partner.

Warning: This story contains graphic details.

Judge in court. Generic.

Photo: 123RF

The man, 43, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was extradited from New Zealand on Thursday on historical sex charges, including gross indecency with a child, ABC is reporting.

Darwin Local Court heard the offences were alleged to have taken place in 1999 but the first allegations were not made until 2008.

In 2013, an arrest warrant was issued by Northern Territory Police, but it was not until two years ago that the man was charged by New Zealand police.

Crown prosecutor Tamara Grealy said hospital records showed there had been “a forcible sexual intercourse without consent” with the woman which “immediately after that… she passed a live blood clot which resulted in her being taken to hospital and subsequently flown to Adelaide where she prematurely gave birth to their young son”.

She told the court the woman was 26 or 27 weeks pregnant at the time.

Ms Grealy told the court it would hear evidence from two complainants – the man’s former partner and stepdaughter, who is now an adult.

She said evidence would be tendered, including a note from the man to his young son, which was read in court: “I was not a very nice person when you were inside mummy’s tummy … I’m so sorry my son”.

The son, now 19, suffers from autism and lives under state care in New Zealand, the court heard.

Defence plans to fight charges

Defence lawyer John Lawrence said his client would be “wanting to fight all of these charges with absolute vigour”.

He said his client took his former partner to the Darwin hospital “because she was bleeding in the bathroom”.

At that time of his arrest, the man was living with his wife in a small town in the North Island.

His wife, who was present in court, has flown from New Zealand to attend the hearings.

Judge Sue Oliver initially granted bail to the alleged offender at $A10,000, on the condition he stayed with his wife in their rented apartment and reported to police each day.

Mr Lawrence argued his client would not be a flight risk, as he had kept to his prior bail conditions since his arrest in New Zealand “without a blemish”.

He said his client would be prepared to wear an electronic bracelet if it was deemed as a necessary condition for bail.

However, the prosecution used a stay application to refer Judge Oliver’s ruling to the Northern Territory Supreme Court, meaning the man will be remanded in custody until at least next week.

“Once a stay application is made my hands are tied,” Judge Oliver said.

A preliminary examination has been set for January 30.

– ABC